From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Geldern, Robert van
Sent: Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] couple of carbonate questions

I agree with Wolfgang.

Glove Box: I don’t know. Never tried. What about a device that flushes one or more vials offline directly from a gas bottle with a needle valve in between to regulate the flow? I have no direct drawings but I might dig out some fotos.

Flushing gas: Ar was discussed here on Isogechem several times (mainly during every He “crisis”). When I recall this correctly, this was not the gas you want to have in your IRMS. N2 works. I can dig out some screenshots where I used He and N2 as flushing gas for identical samples and check for offsets. The offset was not zero, but within “acceptable" limits (depending of course on your research question). The main issue is the air peak that you generate (NO2 gas that interferes on m/z46). In a Thermo Gasbench system you must “blank” this peak, that comes right before your CO2 peak, by a clever on/off setup of your open split settings (open split connects the preparation device to the IRMS; no idea about the MultiFlow).

regards,
Robert

--
PD Dr. Robert van Geldern