Ryan,

depends on what you are behind. For carbonates, it is often is enough to get a sample on the correct range (+/-10ug). In that case, you can save some money buy buying a model that can do that (with good precision) but might be much cheaper than a real “microbalance” (+/-1ug). However, this might be not sufficient for quantitative EA analyses or other applications.

Personally, I had best experience with most MettlerToledo models, but Sartorius is definitely in same league (performance but also price). All other brands...I don’t know.

We run a MT XP6 (Micro Balance, +/- 1ug) for several years now and are very happy with that model. I have no idea about the actual model but a quick look on the MT website gave me XPR10.

For the cheaper option (Analytical Balance, +/-10ug) you might check the MT XSR DualRange Models. Here the XSR105DU will most probably do for most isotope applications, when you are mainly behind the correct signal hight. I used an older model (XP105DR) of a precursor series for carbonates for several years. Worked fine.

From my very personal experience, the Sartorius models were always comparable with respect to price and performance, but the MT models had some very nice features implemented such as the touch-free sensors for tara and open-close.

regards,
Robert

--
PD Dr. Robert van Geldern
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) | GeoZentrum Nordbayern