Dear Brett!

You are welcome. If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me off-list.

Cheers, Wolfgang

On 12/12/2018 18:55, Hill, Brett (AAFC/AAC) wrote:

Thank you Wolfgang.  This information will be helpful.

Brett

From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Wolfgang Wanek
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 1:03 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] 15N of microbial biomass sample extractions

Dear Brett,

CFE coupled to K2SO4 extraction (best at lower concentrations such as 50 mM) and EA-IRMS is a standard protocol though not very sensitive.
If you want to become more sensitive and get rid of the salt load, and if you have access to a purge-and-trap IRMS (e.g. Gasbench II with liquid N2 trap coupled to IRMS)
you can alternatively use alkaline persulfate oxidation of the extracts to nitrate and then convert nitrate to N2O chemically (see attached paper) or using the denitrifier method.

Kind regards,

Wolfgang