Hi Andrew - the devil is always in the prep and analysis details.  Something seems wrong to me with such a low exch-H fraction.  What is the residual moisture content (gravimetrically)?  How did you treat / dry the sample, etc. It's also possible - by a fluke  - that the H isotope fractionations of the 2 waters you used landed you right on the identical value of the non-exch H. I would go far outside the natural range - i.e. very positive on one of the waters (like +500). Len

-----Original Message-----
From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of A.J. Tanentzap
Sent: Wednesday, 19 December 2018 20:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ISOGEOCHEM] help interpreting 2H exchange exp't

Dear all

I've run an exchange experiment on a solid organic as described in Meier-Augenstein et al. 2011. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom.

I estimated the non-exchangeable 2H ratio to be -178.  The estimated fraction of exchangeable H in the sample was 0.0005.

When I re-run the sample in a bulk analysis, the total (i.e.
exchangeable + non-exchangeable) ratio was -190.

Would someone be so kind as to explain how this is possible with a near-zero fraction of exchangeable H?

Many thanks!
Andrew
This email message is intended only for the use of the named recipient. Information contained in this email message and its attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others. Also please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system.