Please share the enclosed job ad with any qualified individuals who may be interested. Montclair State University is seeking a technician/building manager to oversee equipment and facilities within the College of Science and Mathematics at Montclair State University, NJ.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Facilities Maintenance and Engineering, the Laboratory Controls Technician is responsible for functioning as an accomplished professional performing functions related to organizing, executing, analyzing, and evaluating the installation and maintenance of electronically-controlled equipment used in the College of Science and Mathematics (CSAM). The Laboratory Controls Technician oversees and performs associated renovations, basic maintenance and minor repairs, and establishes and maintains records for regular servicing. He or she additionally organizes certifications and repair schedules for CSAM equipment including fume hoods (acid, organic, per chloric), biosafety cabinets, autoclaves, cage washers, glassware washers, cold rooms, environmental chambers, test kitchens, analytical scientific research equipment, and other duties as assigned.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Organizes assigned work, performs basic maintenance and provides technical support for equipment and instruments in CSAM, including refurbishing, repairing, calibration services, and cleaning. Continuously reviews and evaluates workload; develops and implements improved methods, as required.
• Establishes liaison and coordinates responsibilities between CSAM, University Facilities and external contractors, engineers and repair persons to diagnose and correct problems, implement work order requests, servicing and repairs.
• Collaborates in the procurement and preparation of requisitions for materials, supplies, service calls, repairs, service contracts, renovations, and installations. Provides input into budget activities affecting the work unit.
• Analyzes and monitors spare parts inventory for critical equipment to minimize outages and disruptions of service.
• Creates maintenance, testing, and certification schedules for instruments and equipment, ensuring that such equipment is in compliance and ready for use by students, faculty and staff.
• Executes monthly or quarterly inspections and basic repairs on eyewash and safety shower stations with outside contractors.
• Tags assets and equipment and enters data into MAXIMO.
• Prepares and maintains records, reports, and files related to equipment testing, certification and repairs. Makes recommendations for improvement where appropriate.
• Instructs faculty and students in proper operations and safety procedures for select equipment.
• Assigns and supervises the work of student employees assigned to assist with CSAM facilities operations, identifies problem areas and takes necessary steps to effect improvement.
• Utilizes university databases, tools, and software systems including but not limited to MAXIMO, PeopleSoft Financial Management System, Microsoft Office suite.
• Responds to on- and off-duty emergencies
• Communicates with stakeholders regarding the status testing, certification, repair and calibration of equipment and instruments.
• Analyzes, interprets, and adheres to all University and CSAM procedures, regulations, and standards for Quality Control, Quality Assurance, and research compliance.
• Complies with occupational safety and health standards and all rules, regulations and orders. Participates in occupational health and safety training and promotes safe work practices through the selection of footwear appropriate for the work environment, and the utilization of personal protective equipment, when necessary.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree or equivalent years of related work experience
• Knowledge of New Jersey standards or regulations related to laboratory technology
• Direct experience working in a laboratory setting
• Familiarity with chemical hygiene plans and chemical safety procedures
• Four years of full-time professional experience in the maintenance, repair, testing, and calibration of laboratory equipment including but not limited to autoclaves, fume hoods, cold rooms, and/or other related electrical or mechanical equipment.
• Knowledge of laboratory electrical and mechanical equipment operated manually or by steam, electricity, water and/or air, and ability to perform basic maintenance and minor repairs and/or adjustments
• Knowledge of basic laboratory safety procedures
• Ability to read and interpret building and equipment diagrams, blue prints, schematics, and manuals
• Must be able to stand, walk, bend, crawl, climb ladders, and lift heavy objects
• Must be able to respond to campus to provide emergency response services, report to work, or work outside of standard business hours, when necessary
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to thrive in fast-paced and diverse working environment.
• Trade School diploma, Associate or Bachelor's degree in Chemical Technology, Instrumentation, Laboratory Technology, or related discipline
• License in a Laboratory Technology-related discipline
• Familiarity with Environmental Health and Safety and Occupational Health and Safety
Commensurate with experience
To apply please see the job posting here, and following APPLY HERE link: