I believe the tarnish on silver capsules in not an oxide but silver sulfide.

Once upon a time I had some samples in the lab that had been sitting for a number of years and the silver was very tarnished. As a test, we removed the references and ran them along with some fresh ones in newly baked silver capsules. They were indistinguishable.

With that said, I still like to bake silver capsules to ensure they are clean.

Brad

Yale Analytical and Stable Isotope Center
Yale Institute for Biospheric Studies
21 Sachem Street
New Haven, CT 06511
203-432-3189