We often use a broad based glass petri dish to spread out the capsules so
they donıt stick. Marilyn

From:  Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of
Anthony Menicucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 11:52 AM
To:  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] Oxidized silver capsules

Hi Jordan,

I recommend Scottıs temperature for the muffle furnace, and you can even go
a little lower. Once you get into the high 300ıs, you will start to see the
capsules become slightly stuck together. Higher temperature, even for just
an hour, can result in some capsules stuck together beyond reclamation, so
be careful to watch the capsules closely. We regularly roast our Ag foil
capsules for 2 hours in a muffle furnace at a mere 325C and get very shinny
capsules as a result.  You wonıt need any He flow; the oxidation will simply
go away. Donıt be surprised if they come out in a ³clump² even if you use
lower temperatures. This is easily solved by putting the capsules in a
beaker and gently rolling them around; youıll preserve their shape and wonıt
have to individually pull the capsules apart.

--Anthony J. Menicucci
Stable Isotope Laboratory Manager
School of Geosciences
University of South Florida