We often use a broad based glass petri dish to spread out the capsules so they don’t stick. Marilyn

From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Anthony Menicucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 11:52 AM
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] Oxidized silver capsules

Hi Jordan,

I recommend Scott’s temperature for the muffle furnace, and you can even go a little lower. Once you get into the high 300’s, you will start to see the capsules become slightly stuck together. Higher temperature, even for just an hour, can result in some capsules stuck together beyond reclamation, so be careful to watch the capsules closely. We regularly roast our Ag foil capsules for 2 hours in a muffle furnace at a mere 325C and get very shinny capsules as a result.  You won’t need any He flow; the oxidation will simply go away. Don’t be surprised if they come out in a “clump” even if you use lower temperatures. This is easily solved by putting the capsules in a beaker and gently rolling them around; you’ll preserve their shape and won’t have to individually pull the capsules apart.

--Anthony J. Menicucci
Stable Isotope Laboratory Manager
School of Geosciences
University of South Florida