Dear Isotopers,

Wešve been using a metal insert in our Costech EA combustion tube for the
last month or so. The good news is that it is easy to clean out ash.

Wešre using the metal insert because a lot of large powdered, acidified
rocks are being analyzed. My question is the following:

With the quartz inserts, some of the HCl generated from combusting salty or
acidified samples, reacts with the quartz insert, removing at least a part
of it. We use a silver wool plug at the bottom of the combustion reactor for
further halide scavenging.

Does anyone else use the metal inserts and see any effects of halides
ŗbreaking through˛ to the Conflo or IRMS?

Regards,

Marilyn

Dr. Marilyn L. Fogel,
Wilbur W. Mayhew Professor of Geo-Ecology
Director of the Environmental Dynamics and Geo-Ecology Institute
(http://edge.ucr.edu/)
Dept. of Earth Sciences
University of California Riverside
900 University Ave.