Ben,

When I left St Albans a year ago I had set up a Peplink Balance 1350
https://www.peplink.com/products/balance/model-comparison/ to continuously
load balance a second, comcast, connection for our network.  I felt this
allowed us to view the additional expense for the backup connection as also
being additional bandwidth as it was usable all the time.

The Peplink also has automatic failover so if one connection goes down the
traffic automatically goes to the remaining connection.  With our primary
connection being a 1 Gig district shared connection and the comcast
connection being only 100 Meg it is still a problem when everyone has to
use just the comcast.  It just isn't fast enough.  Traffic gets queued,
connections timeout and no one is happy.  Something to keep in mind when
planning a backup connection.

Peplink is a Chinese company with impressive technology.  The eight
balancing algorithms give you the flexibility to do the load balancing in
such a way that none of your users are affected.  This model can handle up
to 1 Gig traffic non-blocking.  As you might imagine it does cost a bit.

Craig Lyndes
Retired