Trey,

Up where we are, we honestly do it old school and keep most of our logs
through spreadsheets, but a better long-term solution would be to switch to
using an MDM solution like Meraki or KACE. The latter is a great service
that was formerly owned by Dell and not only allows you to manage updates
remotely, but to also check for security policies & general compliance for
global settings. You can use it to push out updates, etc... Generally
speaking it does rely on managing a centralized Active Directory database
to help guide permissions and whatnot, but the overall deployment was
something that made a big difference at my previous job down in Boston. We
used it to manage resources that my company there had all across the nation
and it made everything much, much clearer from a top-down perspective. We
did do asset tags that were used to register and manage devices. I don't
honestly know the pricetag for that service though, as I was not privy to
that specific detail, but if you contact them you could probably get a
reasonable quote pretty quick. I recall the reason we had moved to KACE was
the dramatically lower price relative to Meraki.

Hope that helps!
*Technology Coordinator*
Highgate Elementary School
219 Gore Rd.