I believe that the drone would have to be registered and any pilot of that
drone would have to get a license because you are operating it as part of
your work and not necessarily as your hobby. I know that's how it's treated
at Middlebury College, and I'm unsure why K-12 would be any different.
There is a knowledgeable and generous Facebook group called Vermont Drone
Pilots <https://www.facebook.com/groups/vtuas/> that could be a great
resource for you on this and related questions. Tons of information on the FAA
UAS site <https://www.faa.gov/uas/> as well that governs the answers to
these questions.

-Tim