Hi Folks,

As we wrap up Computer Science Education Week, I'd like to share
information about the upcoming GIV Winter Weekends. Held at Goddard
College, they offer motivated high school students the opportunity to work
with talented faculty from across the country. I'm really excited about the
faculty lead for Microcontrollers (arduino); Deborah Siegel, currently
faculty at Norwich, is a mechanical engineer who worked in the aerospace
industry and has recently relocated with her family to Vermont. She taught
for our summer IT institute and did a fabulous job getting kids to a
rock-solid understanding of microcontrollers. Students final projects were
really robust- and totally student-directed. Got kids who have been fired
up by *Hour of Code*? Girls excited by *Girls Who Code*? Help them find
their tribe by letting them know about this opportunity (poster attached-
feel free to share). Spaces in strands will fill up quickly, so it's good
to apply early.

There are nine other great strands, including *Digital Journalism, Mobile
Media Production and Ethics**, Chaos Art, Song Writers Bootcamp *(they'll
be doing some digital recording with a recording engineer who worked on
Phish's albums), and more.

Enrollment for all 9th-12th graders begins December 10th and runs through
January 15th.  Applications are considered on a rolling basis.  Institutes
fill up quickly, so students can gain an advantage by applying early.
Please visit www.giv.org/winterweekend/ for more information regarding
topics, enrollment, and sliding scale tuition.

Full disclosure: I'm program director for the weekends. But I'm really
excited about this year's faculty and offerings. It's going to be terrific!

Best,
Shannon

--
*Shannon Walters*
Teacher Librarian

Governor's Institutes of Vermont
GIV Information Technology & Digital Media, Program Director
Winter Weekends Program Director

"Students need to move from being simply knowledgeable to being
knowledge-able."
~Michael Wesch