Hi,

We at Fair Haven Grade School are smack dab in the middle of a project that uses HPReveal to create trigger images that are then 3D printed on a model.
Here are a few shots of our 3D printing/augmented reality project for ELA.

This is an amazingly complex project. Due to 3D printing times, it takes a long time to show any results.

Students read a biography book and then completed the following steps.

1. Students started by finding a photo of their subject and a quote from the book.
2. They then used a photo editing program (Pixlr) to join the photo and the quote as a single image that would become our augmented reality aura.
3. Once the aura image file was created, they needed to find a simple black and white clip art image to attach their aura to. (Trigger image)
4. The previously created aura was then attached to their black and white trigger image in HP Reveal, an augmented reality creation tool.
5. Our augmented reality portion of the project complete, they now moved on to create a 3D printable model in Tinkercad (a 3D modeling program) of something significant from their book.
6. Once the model is finished we then need to attach our trigger image to it somehow. Ideally we can import the image with the aura attached into the modeling program and literally embed it into the model.
7. Once this is completed, the models get sent to be 3D printed.
8. Since the 3D printer has a set resolution, not every trigger image can be successfully printed by the 3D printer. Luckily, we can simply print the trigger image out on paper and glue it to the 3D model if needed.

Here is a link to the whole step by step process that I created in Google Slides for the students to be able to refer to as they move through the process.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1gtIfj4UyJzAE7B_qDE7FMOghO5ML0-aSjF9ZPZGDLyQ/edit?usp=sharing

This project is complicated, but introduces a large number of valuable tech skills in one fell swoop.

The skills needed for this project would include:

Copying files and images
Pasting files and images
Creating image files
Learning what file types are (.svg, .stl, .jpeg, etc.)
Sharing by using collaboration tools
Creating a new account in an online service
Learning how to use and manipulate primitives in a CAD program
Learning how to navigate within 3D spaces
Learning how to group and ungroup items
Learning how to precisely align parts in a 3D space
The ability to conceptualize the use of positive and negative spaces (turning solid objects into holes) in order to create a shape not already modeled
Patience with the speed (or lack thereof) of 3D printers
Flexibility to accept changes to the model to mitigate the limitations of the 3D printer

They did an excellent job with what was essentially totally new territory

In the following shots, we will see a shot of the Dr. Suess book as seen by the camera and as seen with the aura showing over the model after the trigger image was activated.

There are still a good number of prints left to do in this project but that was to be expected.

Meghan Hill deserves a great amount of credit , not only for being willing to engage in such an ambitious project, but for eagerly accepting my offer to sit down and learn how to use our 3D printer. Kudos!
IMG_0848 (1).JPG
IMG_0840 (1).JPG
IMG_0849 (2).JPG
IMG_0844 (1).JPG