Craig & Robert,

We have a secondary Comcast connection, provided free of charge.  ENA provides our main Internet connection and our firewall/content filter which I can only see as complication the security portion of having a secondary fail-over WAN connection.

I assume the Fortigate would/could provide firewall and filtering protection for both ISP connection going in to it.  So we'd just end up with a dual layer of firewall protection.  I assume somewhere in the topology specific vLAN traffic could be blocked - preventing student use (eliminating the worry about filtering) and allowing only vital business or teacher devices to use the backup connection?

 Ben

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:54 AM Robert Wickberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We use a Fortigate for firewalling, content filtering, VPN, etc.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 9:05 AM Alex Webster <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

What are you using for a firewall?

Not sure how common it is, but for our office, we only had DSL lines so I had to load balance between 4 WAN connections. We also needed to force phone traffic over one of the four lines, while data went over the other 3 in round robin. We accomplished this with pfsense, so the cost was right.

Alex Webster

603-915-3014

From: School Information Technology Discussion <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Robert Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 8:38:39 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Failover Internet Connection?

We have two internet connections with two different vendors, but when I tried to set up our firewall to load balance it didn't work very well, so I have it set so some of the schools use to one connection and others use  the other, a crude form of load balancing. So if one fails, it would take me a minute or so to change the firewall config to put all the traffic on the working one.  Good enough for school purposes.