AOE says we must use legal name, but the names they currently have are the preferred ones, because at one point the secretary who did our census work was told, or at least thought she was told, to use the preferred name.  I didn't want to rock that boat this time around because SLDS is so darned picky, and any uncertainty would just increase the # of errors I would have had to fight.  So for now, Powerschool and the state agree, but it's not the legal name.  So sue us.

That said, Powerschool does have a legal name field and a legal gender field already.  I honestly forgot to check where the new extracts Powerschool is working on pull from, but I hope that's where it is.  I'll  check when I get a minute.