I believe that the drone would have to be registered and any pilot of that drone would have to get a license because you are operating it as part of your work and not necessarily as your hobby. I know that's how it's treated at Middlebury College, and I'm unsure why K-12 would be any different. There is a knowledgeable and generous Facebook group called Vermont Drone Pilots that could be a great resource for you on this and related questions. Tons of information on the FAA UAS site as well that governs the answers to these questions.

-Tim