Great story, Charlie.  Thanks for the reminiscences.  I've always wondered
what it must be like to be the innocent recipients of so much attention
from crowds of birders.  Some people hate it, apparently.  I love your
mother's generous reaction!

Jane
(Shoreham)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 13:58:38 -0500, Charlie La Rosa
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Glad to hear this! Brought back so many memories. I grew up in
Brattleboro,
> on Pleasant St., and when I was perhaps in 6th grade, having studied the
> little Golden Guide to Birds (which had an illustration of a varied
thrush
> near the beginning) from cover to cover and saved up to get my own copy
of
> the cloth-covered Peterson, I came home one winter day for lunch, and my
> mother described a different bird she had seen that morning at our
feeder,
> From her description, I knew it right away to be a varied thrush, a
> gorgeous bird. Well, the bird returned when I happened to be home and I
> identified it positively. We called Louise Mullen who, at that time,
wrote
> a bird column for the Brattleboro Daily Reformer, and very soon the
local
> birders were slowing down or stopping in front of the house to get a
look
> at the thrush. The next day, when I got home for lunch, our street was
> lined with cars, and I found my mother serving tea and coffee in our
> kitchen to a crush of birders from near and far who had shown up to see
the
> bird. There was a group from Mass. Audubon in Littleton that had made
the
> trip. They also wanted to meet the boy who had identified the bird. Of
> course, people were skeptical at first, but once an adult birder, one
who
> was deemed reliable enough, confirmed the ID, the gates were opened. The
> bird stayed around for a number of days and was very cooperative in
giving
> audiences to the elite and not so elite of New England birders.
>
> A couple of years later, a black-headed grosbeak showed up and there was
no
> skepticism that time around. That was 56 or 57 years ago. We had throngs
of
> evening grosbeaks crowding our feeder every day throughout the winter
back
> then. Pine grosbeaks were a common occurrence in the big spruce tree in
our
> neighbor's yard. Tree swallows nested in a box I made and put on the
> highest branch of our apple tree that was sturdy enough to still allow
me
> to climb and get a look. Today, the apple is long gone, as are the
cherry
> and the giant elm and the sugar maple in the front yard. I didn't notice
> any feeders around the last time I drove through the neighborhood.
Nothing
> stays the same for very long, but I still feed the birds in winter.
>
> Charlie La Rosa
> So. Washington, VT
>

> On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 1:10 PM Ruth Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> This was an oh-so-brief look, but enough for me to recover from shock
and
>> take pictures. Pretty conclusive image!  Not seen in next half hr
since.

>> Ruth Stewart
>> E. Dorset, VT

Dec