Bridget,  Here is a taste of some of the early data.

The first published Vermont Christmas census was in 1902 with a report from Randolph Center by Gilbert H. Trafton. He reported three species and four individuals. His count was from 10 AM to 4 PM on a cloudy day with temp of 17 degrees. He recorded 1 shrike, 2 W-B Nuthatch and a Chickadee. He added this note. “ The number of birds seen was very small, but gives a fair indication of the winter bird-life here. I pass many days without seeing or hearing a single bird”.

By 1903 there were 3 counts in Bethel (4 sp, 24 indiv), Bristol ( 7 sp., 88 indiv) & Brattleboro ( 8 sp, 41 indiv )

1904 had Hanover & St Johnsbury. 1905 St Albans & Burlington.