https://skiteam.shipskis.com

Never used the service for skis/snowboards... so cannot answer your
questions directly.

Have used shipsticks.com for flog clubs, and shipsticks' service is
reliable. You can pack in soft case but a plastic case is obviously more
protective. Shipsticks uses either UPS or FedEx depending on service area
and their negotiated rates with the shipper.

Early arrival should be fine at most hotels. The shipper may be able to
fine tune the delivery date to accommodate your schedule if the hotel is
not receptive.

/Bruno