Bridget, I’ll be interested to hear what you discover, as I was wondering the same thing last week.

Six common redpolls appeared below our feeders and near our back porch on Feb. 9-11 where small patches of grass were temporarily exposed.  The feeders sit on the edge of a 10 acre mowing, most of which was snow covered.  Over three days I observed them feeding and flying off to nearby apple trees and the forest edge when flushed or full.    They appeared to be eating mostly tiny seeds from among the grassy patches, with an occasional grab of a sunflower kernel.  One redpoll landed on the feeder tray several times but seemed a bit put off by the unshelled black-oil sunflower seeds.  I through out handfuls of mixed seed, with mostly millet, but little interest in that.  Photos and eBird report, https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52549794 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52549794>

Happy sleuthing,

Cherrie Corey
Marlboro, VT

Cherrie A. Corey