From: Barbara Deutsch <[log in to unmask]>

it's probably the logging that has caused the escalation of beetles
which comprise approx. half of all insect species

and which in natural forests/woodlands ( riparian
galleries on major rivers here [Northern California]
were 1-2 miles wide and the natural ribboning of the waterways that undercuts
and simultaneously builds their banks is vital to them, and of course causes
trees to fall into across and along them,
creating otherwise missing habitat of
utmost importance to riparian diversity )

many if not most beetle species feed as larvae on decaying wood; a renowned
and well respected wildlife gardener and educator
in Oregon said/wrote: "downed
wood is the most important component in providing
habitat for wildlife:, there's an
Impressive book about the habitats provided by, and only by Wood In Water; and
of course those beetle larvae are fed upon by
many creatures, of which, of pre-eminent
importance to our species, so long as its role is
responsibly human, are the birds

( think of the benefits beavers, those benevolent
woodcutters, bring to all the life forms
both of the woodlands and the waterways, and of the meadows they create )

>On Mar 5, 2019, at 10:19 PM, Mitchel Cohen
>[sprayno] <<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>https://phys.org/news/2019-02-ash-loggers-beetles.html
>

>Ash loggers race against time before beetles get them all
>

>February 27, 2019 by Michael Hill

<https://www.thepoliticsofpesticides.com/>The<https://www.thepoliticsofpesticides.com/>
Fight Against Monsanto's Roundup: The Politics of
Pesticides (SkyHorse, 2019), authored by Mitchel
Cohen, is now available at bookstores everywhere!
Please click on link to learn more.