From Green Party candidate for Attorney General of NY State, Michael Sussman writes:
Mandatory Vaccinations
March 28 2019

I find interesting how selective many of you are in being skeptical about state action. Some who generally understand that corporate control of our lives includes corporate control over government decision-making seem particularly supportive of a ban on unvaccinated children in public places when

[a] the the County of Rockland lacks any authority to impose such a ban;

[b] the County should long ago have exercised their actually granted authority to quarantine THOSE INFECTED with measles;

[c] religious exemptions are recognized by our state law, as they have been in one or another form for more than 100 years;

[d] there are four active cases of measles in a county of 325,000 people and those cases are, as prior ones have been, isolated in a religious community;

[e] after six months, not only does Green Meadow not have one case of measles, but the community associated with it has no cases, proof of the lack of association between those individuals and the effected population and

[f] the measles vaccination has never been proofed or scientifically validated and is a major money maker for Merck.

I have read all the comments to my post yesterday (see below) and the support expressed by allegedly progressive people for draconian state action which curtails individual liberty is shocking.

For those who object to my "star" reference, please explain how Rockland County intends to enforce this pronouncement without requiring the unvaccinated and those with religious exemptions to identify themselves: will they presume every Hasidic person or every "Hippie" is not vaccinated?

There is much more to write about this example of baseless public hysteria and the dismissal, as usual, of those who understand that measles is not AIDS or EBOLA, that allowing public health authorities to overreach their authority is dangerous, not salutary, and that religious exemptions are valid and have been recognized in many contexts.

For all the experts on comparative religion who categorically deny others' beliefs and who "know" that one religion or another does NOT recognize such exemptions, you, too, are embarked on a dangerous form of fascism, imposing your interpretations when there is not a single interpretation which governs all Jews or all members of any religious group.

March 27 at 5:02 AM

Nothing is more dangerous than an emboldened madman.

1. For generations, the United States has sought to maintain some credibility with Arab nations [though we have always strongly supported Israel]. Mr. Trump's "recognition" of Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights again shifts policy and makes attaining lasting peace more distant. What ever became of the Kushner "peace plan?"

2. Despite increasing support for the Affordable Care Act and polling which shows that this support accounted for some of the Democratic success in the mid-terms, Trump's Justice Department has now changed course and announced support for a radical judicial decision out of Texas which last December struck down the entire law. This sets up a potential June 2020 Supreme Court decision which could upend our entire health care system.

3. Likewise, Trump supports abortion restrictions which commence with the first trace heartbeat in a fetus, again setting up Supreme Court re-consideration of Roe v. Wade in 2020.

4. Trump is again proposing environmentally tragic exploitation of Alaska wilderness for energy reserves, something hardly required by national security as we have an over-supply of fossil fuel based energy and must wean from, not increase, such dependence.

5. Meanwhile in NY State, the predictable dance between the emperor and mere mortals plays out in Albany with these unfortunate results: no meaningful campaign finance or ethics legislation, delays in efforts to legalize marijuana and sports gambling, two major new revenue sources, no resolution to inequities in school funding, no new urban initiatives...yes, some good has come from this session, but much more needs to be accomplished.

6. Finally, in Rockland County, rather than quarantine the four active measles-infected people and those having intimate contact with them, after a six month outbreak, which has featured other ineffectual responses by public health officials, the county executive has now banned unvaccinated children from public places. I am unsure whether they will now be forced to wear a yellow star or not....I have been fighting to uphold religious exemptions and bring back healthy children to a school with no cases and now this...all in our state which, like 46 others, recognizes religious exemptions...here go our rights and those of our friends and neighbors!

The Fight Against Monsanto's Roundup: The Politics of Pesticides (SkyHorse, 2019), authored by Mitchel Cohen, is now available at bookstores everywhere! Please click on link to learn more.