We have an eastern screech-owl in the woods behind our house, the first one I've heard in the 37 years we've lived here.  I  first heard it about 6 a.m. today.  it's still calling now.  I identified it by using the Birding by Ear CD.  The first call I heard was the descending whinny repeated endlessly.  This morning he's doing other whinnies as well. I couldn't spot it & didn't want to get too close & scare it off.  This is probably a life list opportunity for many of you if you count birds identified by sound for additions to your life list.  We live at 244 Putnam Hill Road, Chester, VT.  The owl is on the right off the driveway that goes up the hill past our house, just past the stone wall.  You can call if you need help with directions.

John Holme
802-875-4392