Early in the year woodcocks often do only a single flight in the
morning, and then again at night, so hearing them requires some focused
attention.  At my location on Snake Mountain in western Addison County I
seldom can hear the peents because I am upslope from the ground location
of the birds.  But I hear them at the top of their flights.  It can be
hard to find the time to wait around to hear them, due to one's normal
schedule ... and not everyone can spend a lot of time out in the dark of
night or twilight waiting for a single peent or twitter.

The timing is highly regulated by light quality, which helps us locate
them via time of day.  Below are my records (2019 and 2016 combined) for
the period March 18 to 31.   On several times in past years I have
positioned myself beside an "inert" woodcock, which did nothing upon my
arrival some 10-15 minutes prior to the expected first flight.  Nothing
happened, until within a minute either side of the expected flight there
suddenly was an explosion of wings and off would go the bird climbing
higher and higher in display.

Starting at midnight the 24 hour day begins with night.  At the very
beginning of any visible glow at a distant horizon (technically the sun
is 12 degrees below the horizon) begins Nautical Twilight.  When the sun
reaches only 6 degrees below the horizon Civil Twilight begins, and our
eyes begin the perception of color for objects around us.  The next
event will be the beginning of the sun's rise above the horizon.

Numerous birds are very responsive to these moments and transitions.
Woodcock, now in their first arrivals, with a high degree of
faithfulness make their first, and often only flight that we can hear at
just over a third of the time distance from the beginning of Nautical
Twilight to the beginning of Civil Twilight. I use
http://www.sunrisesunset.com to easily obtain those times for my
location.  Then if I want to be time efficient I know just when to go
out and listen.  Also, if it is very stormy, windy, or otherwise noisy,
I can be especially attentive to hearing the birds knowing almost
exactly when to expect them.

If you live in an area where sunrise is blocked by mountains, the
effective Nautical and Civil Twilight times will be delayed slightly.

The same process holds for hearing woodcocks in the evening.  Once the
population territories are well established and everyone has arrived,
I've found that from the beginning of evening vocalization/displaying to
its conclusion spans about 54 minutes on average (at least here where I
live.)  Of course you can always expect a maverick!

Ian

Morning first-flight (usually the only flight) times relative to
Nautical and Civil Twilight in late March, at 44 deg. North Latitude in
Vermont.  At our latitude at this time of year Nautical Twilight is a
constant 34 minutes in duration. ----

Minutes after the beginning of Nautical Twilight:

Mar 18     12
Mar 19     03
Mar 21     12
Mar 22     13
Mar 23     12
Mar 25     13
Mar 26     13
Mar 27     12
Mar 28     09
Mar 29     13
Mar 31     13

Minutes before the beginning of Civil Twilight

Mar 18     22
Mar 19     31
Mar 21     22
Mar 22     21