Given today’s discussion about barred owls, I started to hear a pair of
great horned owls calling regularly in December and finally found their
nesting site about three weeks ago, high up in a pine tree on Woodbine Road
in Shelburne.  I have a scope trained on it in one of our bedrooms and can
just barely see the owl’s ears and head.  The nest is also visible from the
road, but the owl may be hard to see now while it is incubating.  On windy
days, it sure looks like a wild ride up there.  I have to think the eggs
must be close to hatching, and when they do things should get a lot more
interesting.  If people are interested, I can let you know when the young
owls are visible and where to find them.

Steve Antell