It’s that time of year again. Roads are softening, snow is melting, critters are stirring - and humans with little respect for wildlife are coming out of their winter dens.

One problem area is that big and highly visible eagle nest on Hawkins Road. Apparently, people have been walking onto the field (which I think the farmer has posted, to no avail) and even driving trucks close so they can stand on the beds or even the roofs to take pictures. We birders can help. Fish and Wildlife wardens have huge territories and can’t be everywhere. If you see someone harassing the eagles, call 1-800-75ALERT (1-800-752-5378), preferably while you’re seeing the violation occurring. It’s a good idea to get photos of cars and trucks with license plates visible, and pictures of the people if you can do so safely (or written descriptions if you think taking photos might result in some violent behavior).

Maeve Kim, Jericho Center