So we skied 2 big resorts during our 10 days in Colorado. Winter Park and Steamboat. Both have excellent tree skiing. There are some steeps but overall those ski areas aren't really super steep (like JH, Snowbird or Discovery). I mentioned Discovery because we had such an epic time there last year and the 2 other times we were there it was pretty good too and I realize, after spending 10 days at big resorts, that I prefer the smaller ski areas. Ok, maybe this isn't new news, but it reinforced what I already knew.

We chose those resorts because we bought Ikon passes.

Next year we may go back to Montana. It's pretty magical there. Big Sky is an awesome resort with so much great terrain. Something for everyone. But the best part is that we can go to Bridger and Disco within fairly short drives.

I hope to get back to Mammoth (speaking of large resorts) this spring, as it is on the Ikon pass, and that should bring my daily lift ticket cost down to around $30. Steamboat was getting $199 for lift tix! So we saved a bundle. I spent less than $1000 on this trip including food, car rental and lodging (we did have 3 nights of free lodging where we brought food cooked for our hosts, which saved us money). Traveling with a small group helped.