More like a penlight than a torch, but since you asked...

Made it out Presidents week to CTıs Ski Sundown, or, in the local patois,
³Ski Rundown.²
Hadnıt been there in, I think, 30 years, and I soon remembered why. That one
lift is      s     l     o     w, bordering on      I     n     t     e
r     m     i     n     a     b     l     e.

Second ride up was next to some chatty guy who quickly shared with me how
good it was to be out, because most days he just wanted to kill himself.
³Oh, I see,² I nodded. Which was enough response, apparently, to make me his
buddy for life. He talked my ear off, no room for me to get a word in, and
followed me down the hill. I am not a fast skier, but fast enough by CT
standards, thankfully, to regain some peace and tranquility.

It was a beautiful warm day, with great groomed coverage. The runs were
surprisingly fun. If only theyıd have lasted more than a tenth the time it
took to go back up. No lift lines at all and some guy who looked like the
owner was out at the lift entrance to see who was enjoying his hill.
Whatever you think of the place (and itıd been fixed up quite a bit since
the days when it well earned its ³Rundown² moniker),  you have to be
grateful for the dedication it must take to keep it going.

I get a chuckle out of their ticket policy. Tickets are for 4 hours from
whenever you start, and bumping it up to 8 (theyıre open nights) costs only
a few bucks more. I always spring for it and always realize on my second or
third ride up that lift that there is no way in lleh I could ski here for
more than 4 hours.

--tn