https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2019/04/11/assange-has-been-arrested-for-us-extradition-the-time-to-act-is-now/

Assange Has Been Arrested For US Extradition. The Time To Act Is Now.

by Caitlin Johnstone

[]

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange
<https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1116295654094118912>has
been arrested and taken into custody by the
London’s Metropolitan police, just as
<https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/be-ready-to-act-wikileaks-source-says-theyre-coming-for-assange-c6ef331d0fea>WikiLeaks
warned days ago was about to happen. Assange’s
lawyer Jen Robinson reports that his arrest is
related to an extradition request from the United
States, which the British government has until
now
<https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/julian-assange-what-is-uk-ecuador-embassy-how-leave-us-extradition-wikileaks-a8199771.html>refused
to admit exists.

“Just confirmed: #Assange has been arrested not
just for breach of bail conditions but also in
relation to a US extradition request,”
<https://twitter.com/suigenerisjen/status/1116290879260639232>tweeted Robinson.

“From #Assange: The US warrant was issued in
December 2017 and is for conspiracy with Chelsea
Manning in early 2010,” Robinson
<https://twitter.com/suigenerisjen/status/1116299419694059520>added.

[VIDEO OF ARREST ON CAITLIN JOHNSTONE'S WEBSITE]

So there you have it. Extradited for journalism.
In a blur, everything that Assange and WikiLeaks
have been warning about for years has been proven
correct, contrary to mountains of claims to the
contrary by establishment loyalists everywhere.
The same government which
<https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/reminder-chelsea-manning-was-twice-driven-to-suicide-by-a-regime-that-tortures-whistleblowers-43a053aff7b4>tortured
Chelsea Manning is in the process of extraditing
her publisher so that they can silence him
forever. Everyone who has ever denied that this
was happening needs to hang their heads in shame
for scoffing at a very real threat to press
freedoms everywhere when they could have been
opposing this obscene agenda. It’s time for some serious soul searching.

The time to act is now. It’s too late to prevent
Assange from losing his asylum at the Ecuadorian
embassy, so the goal now is to fight extradition.
Activist groups are swiftly organizing as I type
this, so it will be easy for people around the
world to find rallies to attend and online
movements to help boost. I encourage everyone in
the US, the UK and Australia to contact their
elected representatives and politely but urgently
inform them that the agenda to extradite Assange
to the US must be fought at all costs. Educate
yourself as best as you can on Assange’s case,
and inform everyone you know about what’s going on.

This is seriously gut wrenching news. Here are
ten thoughts on the matter in no particular order:

1 – The Metropolitan police were
<https://southfront.org/julian-assange-arrested-by-uk-metro-police-invited-by-ecuadorian-ambassador/>let
into the embassy by the Ecuadorian ambassador,
his political asylum revoked under
<https://consortiumnews.com/2019/04/02/ecuador-president-threatens-to-decide-assanges-fate-over-scandal/>entirely
false pretenses in gross violation of international law. Shame on Ecuador.

2 – Assange is an Australian citizen. As of this
writing, the Australian government has still not
interceded to protect its citizen. Shame on Australia.

3 – The US government is setting a precedent
which, if carried out, will constitute
<https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/why-your-hatred-of-assange-is-completely-irrelevant-d2fb9f603c9a>a
grave threat to press freedoms the world over and
a greater leap in the direction of Orwellian
dystopia than the Patriot Act. Shame on America.

4 – The UK government is collaborating with the
US government’s efforts to imprison a journalist
for publishing evidence of US war crimes, just as
it has collaborated with the US government in
perpetrating war crimes. Shame on the UK.

5 – This arrest warrant was issued under the
Trump administration, in full alignment with what
the Trump administration has
<https://theintercept.com/2017/04/14/trumps-cia-director-pompeo-targeting-wikileaks-explicitly-threatens-speech-and-press-freedoms/>openly
been saying about its agenda to silence
WikiLeaks. Shame on Trump, and shame on anyone who continues to support him.

6 – This arrest is a Trump administration action,
and has nothing to do with the 2016 Russia
nonsense that Democrats have been shrieking
about, yet these same Democrats who claim to
oppose Trump and oppose his war on the press are
currently cheerleading for Trump’s prosecution of
a journalist who told the truth. Shame on Democrats.

7 – I am going to have a zero tolerance policy
for QAnon cultists who try to tell me that this
is actually 5-D chess by Trump to overthrow the
Deep State. Stay out of my comments, stay out of
my social media notifications, stay the hell away
from me, and please rethink your worldview.

8 – The precedent set by imprisoning a foreign
journalist under the Espionage Act will enable
the US government to arrest leak publishers
anywhere in the world who expose its crimes. This
will cripple our ability to hold the most
powerful institution on the planet to account in
any way. There is no excuse for any journalist
anywhere not to oppose this tooth and claw. If
you see anyone calling themselves a journalist
but failing to oppose Assange’s extradition, you
should call them out for the frauds that they are.

9 – And yes, like it or not,
<https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/assange-is-not-a-journalist-yes-he-is-idiot-761fa437269f>Assange
is a journalist. There is no legitimate argument to the contrary.

10 – This is it, folks. This is where we find out
what we’re made of as a species. This is where we
find out if humanity gets to survive, and if it
deserves to. If we can’t stop the empire from
imprisoning a journalist for publishing facts
right in front of our eyes, we might as well roll
over and tap out right now, because if we lose
this one it’s never going to get any better from
there. If we can’t pass this test, the oligarchs
and the opaque government agencies which are
allied with them will march us into extinction or
Orwellian dystopia, and there’ll be no tool in
our toolbox to stop them. We need to seriously dig deep on this one.

<https://twitter.com/AssangeMrs>Mrs. Christine
Assange  @<https://twitter.com/AssangeMrs>AssangeMrs
Help Julian NOW! 1) FOLLOW/share widely
<https://twitter.com/wikileaks>@<https://twitter.com/wikileaks>Wikileaks
<https://twitter.com/DefendAssange>@<https://twitter.com/DefendAssange>DefendAssange
2) RALLY *UK court hearings *Global Rallies 5)
PRESSURE Politicians *No US Extradition *Abide by
<https://twitter.com/UN>@<https://twitter.com/UN>UN
Decision 6) MONITOR Media Correct disinfo with
FACTS 7) DONATE Legal DefenceFund
[]

FROM https://defend.wikileaks.org/

Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch
oppose Julian Assange’s extradition

Amnesty International:

“Amnesty International believes that Julian
Assange should not be extradited or subjected to
any other transfer to the USA, where there are
concerns that he would face a real risk of
serious human rights violations due to his work with Wikileaks:
    * Violation of his right to freedom of expression
    * Violation of his right to liberty, arising
from any pre-trial detention and/or prison
sentence that was imposed on the basis of a
prosecution that violated his freedom of expression
    * Violation of his right to life, if the
death penalty were to be available in any
proceedings that he might face in the USA
    * Being held in conditions that violate his
rights to humane treatment and respect for his
dignity and potentially his right not to be
subjected to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.”

<https://twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1071696480187105280>Kenneth
Roth, Director of Human Rights Watch:

“If Ecuador and the UK were serious about
protecting Assange, they would provide guarantees
not only against the death penalty but also
against prosecution for anything that journalists
typically do such as publishing leaked information”.

Media figures unite in deploring US government
indictment of WikiLeaks for publishing truthful information

<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/16/us/politics/julian-assange-indictment-wikileaks.html>New
York Times:
“An indictment centering on the publication of
information of public interest ­ even if it was
obtained from Russian government hackers ­ would
create a precedent with profound implications for press freedoms.”

<https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3Ajdakwar%20statement&src=typd>Ben
Wizner, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU):
“Any prosecution of Mr Assange for WikiLeaks’
publishing operations would be unprecedented and
unconstitutional and would open the door to
criminal investigations of other news organisations”.

<https://www.thenation.com/article/julian-assange-wikileaks-indictment-press-freedom/>Bruce
Shapiro, contributing editor to The Nation:
“The notion of sealed charges against a publisher
of leaked documents ought to have warning sirens
screaming in every news organization, think tank,
research service, university, and civil-liberties
lobby…. The still-secret Assange charges, if
unchallenged, could burn down the scaffolding of
American investigative reporting”.

Courage Foundation supports WikiLeaks

In May 2017, the Courage Foundation
<https://www.couragefound.org/2017/05/wikileaks-is-courages-newest-beneficiary/>announced
that publishing organisation WikiLeaks would be
its newest beneficiary. The announcement followed
reports that the US Department of Justice (DOJ)
was now preparing charges against WikiLeaks
members, in particular its founding editor Julian Assange.

<https://couragefound.org/2018/06/liveblog-julian-assange-in-jeopardy/>Courage
runs an ongoing liveblog on Julian Assange’s
situation in the Ecuadorian Embassy

DOJ threats against WikiLeaks

The US Department of Justice has run an
unprecedented and wide-ranging investigation into
WikiLeaks for its publishing and sourcing work
since 2010. It has involved paid informers,
illegal interrogations in Europe and secret
search warrants. Recently CIA Director Mike
Pompeo called WikiLeaks a “non-state hostile intelligence service.”

Offences cited through the investigation, and
allegedly in the charges, include conspiracy,
espionage and theft of government property.
Recent reports cite Cablegate, the Iraq and
Afghan War Logs and Vault 7 publications as well
as WikiLeaks’ work in getting NSA whistleblower
Edward Snowden asylum, as key to the investigation.

This is about more than one publisher – it is
about press freedom more broadly and the steady
erosion of the First Amendment in the United
States. The Obama Administration prosecuted more
whistleblowers than all presidents before
combined, and ran the longest investigation into
a publisher ever in the US with its WikiLeaks
Grand Jury. It has continued to the point where
Trump’s Department of Justice has stated that
charging WikiLeaks Editor, Julian Assange, is now a “priority”.

Courage’s chief demand is for the US to close the
Grand Jury investigation into WikiLeaks and to
drop any charges against any WikiLeaks staff.
Courage’s campaign for WikiLeaks is launched on
this new site, along with information on the
continuing work of WikiLeaks and the actions taken against it.

<https://twitter.com/couragefound>Follow Courage on Twitter for updates.

Protection of WikiLeaks

This is the first time the Courage Foundation has
taken on an organisation, as opposed to an
individual, as a beneficiary. We are working to
ensure the protection of all WikiLeaks staff,
including Julian Assange, Joseph Farrell, Sarah
Harrison and Kristinn Hrafnsson.

Julian Assange continues to be arbitrarily
detained in the Ecuadorian embassy in London,
where he has asylum due to the US threats against him.

Courage Trustee and journalist John Pilger said:

In standing up for WikiLeaks, we are defending
courage ­ the courage of those who say ‘no’ to
the perennial bullies seeking a divine power over
human affairs. Founded and led by Julian Assange,
WikiLeaks has provided people all over the world
with an armory of truth about wars and politics
and the aims of violent, unaccountable power.
This is real journalism and a principle of
freedom so fundamental that its defeat would mean the conquest of all of us.

<https://iamwikileaks.org/donate>Please donate here.