Hi Bridget,

I'm no expert on this species, but here is my report on a PHVI that I
observed on 5/16/18 at Fairfield Swamp WMA -- French Hill Access.  I think
it shows my thought process in narrowing it down to a PHVI vs. REVI:

"Compared with Red-eyed Vireo: song slower, weaker, less insistent,
choppier, more pauses; dark eye line and light eyebrow stripe were barely
noticeable; less active than typical REVI; body more compact, less sleek.
Clear, pale breast--could not discern any yellow. Looked very much like a
Warbling Vireo; If it hadn't been singing, I would have assumed it was a
WAVI. I listened to this bird for about 10 minutes and watched it high in a
tree for several minutes, during which I had some clear views of its head
and breast."

I would add that it's easy to jump to conclusions on this species, so I
think it's important to distinguish it from REVI by more than one criteria,
including song, appearance, and behavior.  In this case, it was the
non-typical REVI song that caused me to look at this bird more closely.  I
was fortunate that it stayed in view long enough to get a good look at it.
There might be others who are more experienced with PHVI and can ID it more
readily, but for myself, I want to see several factors before declaring it
a PHVI.

--Ken Copenhaver