More than 15 years ago, I was sworn to secrecy and taken to see a pair of
Red-Bellied Wpeckers nesting in a woods in an inner northwestern Boston
suburb.  The species had been expanding northward, and the more
knowledgeable bird people had their eyes open for them, and this was the
first sighting anyone knew of in the Boston area.  I was thrilled to see
the lovely and at the time exotic birds, and gradually one or two began to
show up here and there in the area over the years.

When I moved to Vermont about 13 years ago, I figured I wouldn't see them
here, so I was even more thrilled to see one at one of my feeders right
away here in Shoreham in midwinter.  I was afraid he wouldn't stay, but he
did, and in the spring he began trilling loudly and incessantly from the
treetops to attract a female.   I felt sad, sure he wouldn't be able to.
And then one lovely spring day, a female heard him, dropped down, and found
him suitable. They paired up and lived happily ever after!

I've had a pair nesting (and wintering) here ever since, presumably not
the same ones but maybe their offspring.  They really are gorgeous and
almost glowing in their fresh spring plumage.

So welcome to the club!

Jane Stein
(Shoreham)