Print

Print


I have hung out two orange feeders, each holding two halves.  The catbirds and the orioles are duking it out with each other on these, and the four halves are empty and dry as a bone at the end of EACH DAY!

On the subject of hummers, I have four females that sip at the same feeder at the same time, although there are two other feeders on the other side of the house.  Occasionally a male shows up.  

AND, the oriole is scarfing down peanut butter at my feeder, sharing it graciously with chickadees, woodpeckers, catbirds, and red squirrels.  I have two of these and they are also both empty at the end of the day.  Quite a diner I am running here.  (PS :  all feeders way out of the height-range of bears)
Janet Watton
Randolph Center

> On May 30, 2019, at 12:00 AM, VTBIRD automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> There are 17 messages totaling 459 lines in this issue.
> 
> Topics of the day:
> 
>  1. Pileated
>  2. bobolinks
>  3. Bald eagles in Essex
>  4. Another great Mourning in cemetery (2)
>  5. Phen Basin Bird walk 7 Am Thursday
>  6. A third Catbird showed up today...
>  7. Hummer at oranges (3)
>  8. Possible Swainson's warbler
>  9. When Songbirds Fall to Earth
> 10. Midday Nighthawk, close flyby, southern end of Snake Mountain,
>     Cornwall/Bridport
> 11. eBird checklist with audio of Swainson's Warbler (3)
> 12. Wilson's Snipe
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 06:44:42 -0400
> From:    Sue <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Pileated
> 
> I have a pair of pileated woodpeckers visiting suet feeders. Two crows also enjoy this, first time I've witnessed them doing this.
> Sue Wetmore 
> 
> Sent from my iPod
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 07:22:54 -0400
> From:    Leslie Nulty <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: bobolinks
> 
> Monday, in the field behind the Jericho town garage.
> 
> -- 
> Best regards,
> 
> Leslie
> 
> Leslie Nulty
> P.O. Box 1121
> Jericho Center, VT 05465
> home office: 802-899-4582
> cell: 802-324-1496
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 11:42:53 -0400
> From:    Frank Rounds <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Bald eagles in Essex
> 
> This morning around 8:30 I watched two adult bald eagles at Woodside Park in Essex, flying parallel to the river, both carrying food in their bills. 
> Also saw a pair of indigo buntings copulating, and a pair of phoebes carrying food to their nest. 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 12:12:45 -0400
> From:    alison wagner <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Another great Mourning in cemetery
> 
> Hi VT birders, I had another satisfying start to my work day this morning in the Hinesburg Village Cemetery. I was surprised to find a Mourning Warbler in the wetland area, singing away! I have described the location in my eBird report which is attached. I wonder WHO the next bird will be! 
> 
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55997553 
> 
> Ali 
> Huntington 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 12:59:15 -0400
> From:    Jeanne Elias <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Phen Basin Bird walk 7 Am Thursday
> 
> The Mad Birders’ last Thursday morning walk will take place tomorrow 5/30 at 7am at Phen Basin.
> We are in full swing on Spring Migration
> So join us. 
> For details see Madbirders.org
> Happy Birding!
> 
> Nevertheless, she persisted!
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 13:03:40 -0400
> From:    Veer Frost <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: A third Catbird showed up today...
> 
> and I was lucky to be out observing the garden species and over my
> head saw one catbird repeatedly approach another with bill raised
> skyward and opening and closing, like silent singing, meanwhile what
> I'm taking to be the resident male made lunging motions at this guy
> and the presumed female (but really how can you tell, this could have
> been a female pursuing another's mate) made her mewing sounds and
> evaded... after a more definitive chase the third has not been seen
> again ... I wonder which one won. Encounters like this seem to happen
> most often in the feeding area, which has lots of cover, I've wondered
> if showing off a food source helps in courtship. the times I've seen a
> male hummingbird's courting dance it's been in proximity to a feeder.
> 
> Veer Frost, Passumpsic NEK
> 	__
> Sent using Hushmail
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 17:24:55 +0000
> From:    Alice Grau <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Hummer at oranges
> 
> ________________________________
> From: Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>
> Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 4:26 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [VTBIRD] Hummer at oranges
> 
> A male hummer has been visiting today and apparently feeding from the
> orange halves I've hung for the Orioles, even though he's got a clean,
> well-filled sugar water feeder on the other side of the house.  As far as I
> can tell, I've got two male hummers, had them for about 10 days or so with
> no sign of a female (poor boys).  What's with the oranges?  Has anybody
> else seen this?
> 
> Jane Stein
> 
> (Shoreham)
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 17:26:02 +0000
> From:    Alice Grau <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Hummer at oranges
> 
> Yes.  First year I put out oranges for my orioles, and the hummers are enjoying them too!  Alice, Bridport
> 
> ________________________________
> From: Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>
> Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 4:26 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [VTBIRD] Hummer at oranges
> 
> A male hummer has been visiting today and apparently feeding from the
> orange halves I've hung for the Orioles, even though he's got a clean,
> well-filled sugar water feeder on the other side of the house.  As far as I
> can tell, I've got two male hummers, had them for about 10 days or so with
> no sign of a female (poor boys).  What's with the oranges?  Has anybody
> else seen this?
> 
> Jane Stein
> 
> (Shoreham)
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 14:01:11 -0400
> From:    alison wagner <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Another great Mourning in cemetery
> 
> WRONG eBird checklist in first message! I'll try again! 
> 
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56861002 
> 
> Thanks! Ali 
> 
> 
> From: "alikatofvt" <[log in to unmask]> 
> To: "Vermont Birds" <[log in to unmask]> 
> Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 12:12:45 PM 
> Subject: Another great Mourning in cemetery 
> 
> Hi VT birders, I had another satisfying start to my work day this morning in the Hinesburg Village Cemetery. I was surprised to find a Mourning Warbler in the wetland area, singing away! I have described the location in my eBird report which is attached. I wonder WHO the next bird will be! 
> 
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55997553 
> 
> Ali 
> Huntington 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 15:22:21 -0400
> From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Possible Swainson's warbler
> 
> For anyone birding Conte Wenlock area. Just a heads up on the Peanut Dam Road, Conte. 2 tenths mile from turn around. Recordings being triple verrified. No visual sighting. Ebird post in a few hours with audio. Bird song recorded Saturday noon.
> 
> Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 16:02:02 -0400
> From:    Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Hummer at oranges
> 
> Cool!  Thanks.  I've put out oranges in past years and the hummers didn't
> come to them.  I wouldn't think they'd be sweet enough for them.
> 
> Jane
> 
> (Shoreham)
> 
> 
> On Wed, 29 May 2019 17:26:02 +0000, Alice Grau <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>> Yes.  First year I put out oranges for my orioles, and the hummers are
>> enjoying them too!  Alice, Bridport
>> 
>> ________________________________
>> From: Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jane Stein
>> <[log in to unmask]>
>> Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 4:26 PM
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: [VTBIRD] Hummer at oranges
>> 
>> A male hummer has been visiting today and apparently feeding from the
>> orange halves I've hung for the Orioles, even though he's got a clean,
>> well-filled sugar water feeder on the other side of the house.  As far
> as I
>> can tell, I've got two male hummers, had them for about 10 days or so
> with
>> no sign of a female (poor boys).  What's with the oranges?  Has anybody
>> else seen this?
>> 
>> Jane Stein
>> 
>> (Shoreham)
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 16:48:01 -0400
> From:    Bryan Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: When Songbirds Fall to Earth
> 
> Greetings, VTBIRDers:
> 
> From the fog in the Gulf of Maine last week, songbirds dropped to Monhegan Island in a fallout like I’ve rarely seen: warblers were flycatching in plain view on beaches and bedrock. I wrote an essay about it, mostly for folks who’ve never seen anything like this and for those of us who no longer see it often enough. Yeah, it’s not from Vermont, but you’ll see lots of images of tired warblers (thanks in large part to Vermonter Josh Lincoln).
> 
> https://bryanpfeiffer.com/2019/05/28/when-songbirds-fall-to-earth/
> 
> Best,
> — Bryan
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> www.bryanpfeiffer.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 16:53:34 -0400
> From:    Ian Worley <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Midday Nighthawk, close flyby, southern end of Snake Mountain, Cornwall/Bridport
> 
> Just past 1:00pm this afternoon, I was walking along the edge of an 
> extend piece of our yard that looks down into a shallow wooded, bubbling 
> stream gully ... casually paying attention to all those voices that 
> inevitably turn out to be Redstarts.  A bird of larger wing flew out of 
> the thin understory of tall maples and oaks on the opposite side of the 
> gully, triggered the voice in my head who said "Oh, there's our 
> Sharp-shinned.  But just as instantly, as the bird flew diagonally 
> across in front of me, below my eye level so I could see it well from 
> above, it was clear from that vantage that it was no Sharpy but a 
> graceful, pointy-winged denizen with brilliant white wing-patches 
> flashing in the shade, long-tailed, neckless Common Nighthawk ....... 
> glide, three deep strokes, glide, aerobatic turn to the right, disappear 
> behind an Oak .......
> 
> Ian
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 18:41:41 -0400
> From:    Thomas Berriman <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: eBird checklist with audio of Swainson's Warbler
> 
> Under warbler sp. In the eBird report is an audio file:
> 
> 
> 
> https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S56722900 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> eBird report from this morning same location:
> 
> https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S56879586 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.
> 
> 
> 
> Tom Berriman 
> 
> 802-626-9071
> 
> 
> 
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/ 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 18:56:11 -0400
> From:    Veer Frost <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: eBird checklist with audio of Swainson's Warbler
> 
> An absolute thrill, Tom, thank you...exciting even among so many
> exceptional warbler reports, so many reasons to be grateful for this
> listserv!Veer
> 
> On 5/29/2019 at 6:41 PM, "Thomas Berriman"  wrote:Under warbler sp. In
> the eBird report is an audio file:
> https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S56722900 
> eBird report from this morning same location:
> 
> https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S56879586 
> The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.
> Tom Berriman 
> 
> 802-626-9071
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Thu, 30 May 2019 00:25:14 +0000
> From:    Ryan Tomazin <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: eBird checklist with audio of Swainson's Warbler
> 
> Congrats, Tom, I think that is exactly what you have there, unless another bird learned Swainson's song. Bell-clear sliding whistles, nicely-defined ending. One lost little bird.
> 
> In West Virginia, the song is described as "sweet, sweet Sistersville", as there is a town by that name in WV. Ironically, I don't think they've ever had Swainson's Warblers there...
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA
> 
> ________________________________
> From: Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Thomas Berriman <[log in to unmask]>
> Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:41 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [VTBIRD] eBird checklist with audio of Swainson's Warbler
> 
> Under warbler sp. In the eBird report is an audio file:
> 
> 
> 
> https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S56722900
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> eBird report from this morning same location:
> 
> https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S56879586
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.
> 
> 
> 
> Tom Berriman
> 
> 802-626-9071
> 
> 
> 
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Date:    Wed, 29 May 2019 20:34:36 -0400
> From:    cynthia crawford <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Wilson's Snipe
> 
> I was in Windsor today  near the corner of Marton Rd and Hunt Rd where
> there is a wetland and wandering brook. Nice place to see/hear a Wilson's
> Snipe. I think I was hearing 2. Managed to get a flight sequence which I
> made into a composite photo. You can hear one calling here:
> https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S56879826
> and see a better picture here:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/33836164@N03/albums/72157708828786573
> 
> Several warblers there, swallows, bobolinks....
> 
> 
> Cynthia Crawford
> 
> *Creature Kinships and Natural Affinities*
> Animal and Nature Paintings, Portraits and Prints
> www.creaturekinships.net, www.creaturekinships.com
> <http://www.creaturekinships.net>
> MORE PHOTOS and ARTWORK: http://pbase.com/creaturekinships
> EVEN MORE PHOTOS: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33836164@N03/
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of VTBIRD Digest - 28 May 2019 to 29 May 2019 (#2019-132)
> *************************************************************