Hi All,

Just thought you might be interested about my visit to Woodside last Friday. I was very surprised to find that the wetland was almost completely dry! The beaver hut was high and dry, no water foul to be found and a Canada Geese pair slugging around in the mud trying to figure out what to do. I sent an email inquiry to Winooski Valley Water District and received a reply from Lauren Chicote, Programs Director. She said that they sent out the parks crew to check things out. They believe the pond/wetland situation is due to the beaver dam failing – mostly due to the recent flooding events over the past few weeks and also because the beaver population there has not been as active as in the past, so the dam has probably not been maintained in recent years. She said, “We suspect that the pond will restore itself if the beavers return.”. Lets hope Bucky and his friend return soon!

I should also pass on from Lauren that WVPD offers monthly bird monitoring walks at their parks led by AmeriCorps Environmental Educator, Juli who can be reached at [log in to unmask]

Peter Swaine