I've found having my phone along when birding invaluable for recording, as
suggested here, as well as for the occasional desire to refer to my Sibley
or iBird app.  I used my phone just the other day to make a recording of a
new and unfamiliar song in our yard, and was later able to use that to
verify the species (Ruby-crowned Kinglet).  I have a pretty fallible
long-term auditory memory, so this was incredibly helpful, plus I was able
to then double-check with more knowledgeable birders by posting the video
in a Facebook group.

--
Miriam Lawrence
(c) 802-238-1830