Good Morning Town Clerks, Treasurers and Listers,

The Department of Taxes has now processed all timely received Homestead Declarations (HSDs) and Property Tax Adjustment Claims (PTAs). This first file is anticipated to be sent to towns by the end of the day today, June 28.

Per a Legislative change this year, PTA files to the towns will now be sent to the town monthly after July until the exchange is complete.

Keep in mind that not every property taxpayer who filed a PTA will be in this first file. Reasons for this delay may include:

What can Listers/Clerks do to flag a possible non-filer?

If you have not done so already, you can flag possible non-filers. In the NEMRC Grand List program, you should select #7 in the homestead declaration process field. “Prepare and Send NR” (Not-Filed but we think they should be) list for state, and check off all that need to be reminded to send a Homestead Declaration. This list is then sent to our department for action. Due to the confidential nature of Property Tax Adjustment claims, we do not communicate the eligibility findings of any further determination on our part to your office.

For more Instructions for Municipalities related to the HS 122, visit https://tax.vermont.gov/sites/tax/files/documents/HS-122InstructsForMunicipalitiesGB.pdf

Thank you for your support in processing these important files.

Vermont Department of Taxes

(802) 828-6639 | 133 State Street | Montpelier, VT 05633-1401 | tax.vermont.gov

This email may contain confidential tax information. The information is intended only for use by the individual or entity addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information, and any such action would subject you to civil and/or criminal prosecution under state and Federal confidentiality laws. If you received this email in error, immediately delete this email and contact us at 802-828-6639 or [log in to unmask] for further instructions.