Good afternoon:

A quick note to encourage PIs and business administrators to be proactive about ensuring that new faculty/staff expected to be engaged as investigators in sponsored research complete their Financial Conflict of Interest training and disclosure as part of the onboarding process.

Being proactive will avoid unnecessary delay:
-at time of proposal submission: under our Financial Conflict of Interest in Sponsored Research policy<http://www.uvm.edu/policies/grants/researchcoi.pdf>, a proposal may not be submitted until all investigators have completed their FCOI disclosure;
-at time of award: an award may not be set up if an investigator has not completed their FCOI training and their disclosure has not been processed.

The Financial Conflict of Interest in Sponsored Research policy<http://www.uvm.edu/policies/grants/researchcoi.pdf> implements, amongst other, the PHS federal regulations about Financial Conflict of Interest in Sponsored Research<https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2011-08-25/pdf/2011-21633.pdf>.

For the purpose of this policy, an "Investigator" means any person, regardless of title or position, who is responsible for the design, conduct, OR reporting of a research project.

For more information about the FCOI training and disclosure process, go to our dedicated webpage<https://www.uvm.edu/ovpr/research-integrity-financial-conflict-interest-sponsored-research> or contact me.

Disclosure are made using UVMClick - FCOI<https://www.uvm.edu/ovpr/uvmclick-fcoi>.

Have a nice day,

Victoria

Victoria Jones, LL.M. | Research Compliance Officer
University of Vermont
Research Administration and Integrity
340 Waterman | 85 South Prospect Street
Burlington, VT 05405-0160
P: 802-656-1329 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | research-integrity<https://www.uvm.edu/ovpr/research-integrity>

"The public trust in what we do is just essential, and we cannot afford to take any chances with the integrity of the research process."
Dr. Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH 2014)