This work is starting now.

On 7/8/19 3:54 PM, Kent Saunders wrote:
[log in to unmask]"> Administrative access to "vCenter1" and "vCenter2" will be unavailable for large parts of Thursday, July 11th while maintenance is performed.  Work is scheduled to begin shortly after 8:00am, and run throughout the day.  During this time there will be short outages to management services while different components are upgraded.

No service outages are expected for any virtual machines.

ETS-SAA will be performing a software upgrade to the core infrastructure that runs our virtualization platform.  Specifically, we'll be upgrading our VMware vSphere from 6.5 to 6.7.  This involves several distinct operations which will be performed serially.  There will be several brief outages to the management interfaces during the day, which will prevent VM owners from accessing the consoles of their virtual machines for short durations, or doing other operations which require access to vCenter, like taking snapshots or growing disks.

The new 6.7 release of vSphere brings security and bug fixes, as well as many new features we hope to explore.  We feel it has reached maturity and are ready to implement it at UVM.

If you have any concerns with this timeline, please let us know.

--
Kent Saunders

Sr. Systems Administrator
Systems Architecture & Administration