I second Chandler's motion!

Charlie

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Chandler Davis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Let's have some unity on this list, damn it, and root in unison for Claudia's mobility and for organic urban farming.
Chandler

On 2019-07-11 3:48 p.m., Claudia Pine wrote:
Mitchel - two hip replacements in 12 weeks! Ugh.  Especially as I am still cooking for my 91-year-old mother.  Rather modestly,
right now!
But also "yay" - because I really am going to enjoy walking, hiking, organic farming, and canvassing again!  It was canvassing for
Medicaid Expansion in my benighted red state all last year that really did me in.  But getting healthcare, finally, for every resident
of my state is worth it!

As Umair Haque writes, What kind of nation prides itself on having the largest military killing machine in history,
yet not a national healthcare system?

So while waiting to be fully mobile again, I'm organizing the infrastructure on a non-profit urban farm on nearly 2 acres
of good soil in the heart of my small city's lowest-income, lowest-home value census tract, which also is majority Hispanic
and has tons of single moms and low-income seniors.  My City and parks department, who leased us the land, have no idea that
organic urban farming is not just (a) healthy nutrition for our food pantry, and some school and family gardening classes on the side.
It's also (b) citizen science and environmental education, and (c) community building and organizing in an amazing number of ways.
The local low-income family clinic I use, which was started by our migrant farm-workers' coalition, is going to help me do Medicaid signup out
there this fall.  Urban farms are great places to do all kinds of activism.  A farm raises awareness "by nature"!

Claudia