I Was One of 36 Jews Arrested Protesting ICE. Never Again Is Now.

by <https://forward.com/author/tae-phoenix/>Tae Phoenix

ďBut Daddy, why didnít anyone do anything? Didnít they know? Didnít they care?Ē

The first conversation I had with my father about
the Holocaust is seared into my memory. I was
maybe seven or eight when he explained to me that
millions of people had been murdered because of
their religion, where they came from, who they
loved, or because they were disabled.

ďIt might have been because they didnít know,Ē he
replied, ďor it might have been because they
truly didnít care or they agreed with the Nazis.
But I think for most people it was that things
got worse over such a long period of time that
they got used to it. It felt normal to them, and then it was too late.Ē

I was among the
<https://www.teenvogue.com/story/36-jewish-activists-arrested-protesting-ice-detention-center-new-jersey>36
Jews arrested Sunday outside the ICE detention
center in Elizabeth, New Jersey as part of the
<https://www.neveragainaction.com/>Never Again
Action. We came together from all across the
country - from California and Washington State,
from Colorado and Missouri - to protest and put
our bodies on the line because we see the same
pattern my father described unfolding today.

Many people donít know what is happening.

Some people donít care or agree with this administrationís xenophobic agenda.

But most people simply havenít been trained to
see the warning signs, and things are getting
worse so slowly that they wonít notice until it is too late.

Unless we do something.

We Jews know in our ancestral memory what the
precursors to ethnic cleansing look like. They
look like roundups and mass deportations. They
look like detention camps where ďundesirablesĒ
are concentrated and segregated away from the
general population ≠ also known as concentration
camps. They look like
<https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1145837522355924992>dehumanizing
<https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1145802564098777090>conditions
<https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1145801283191955464>where
<https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/honduran-man-dies-ice-custody-texas-facility-n1025526>vulnerable
<https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/migrant-boy-who-died-u-s-custody-wanted-help-brother-n1008826>people
<https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/7-year-old-guatemalan-girl-who-died-custody-border-had-n989096>die
<https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/feds-hit-60-million-claim-over-migrant-infant-who-died-n940866>of
<https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adolfoflores/toddler-dies-immigrant-border-us-texas-guatemala>exposure
<https://www.cbsnews.com/news/darlyn-valle-what-we-know-about-the-10-year-old-migrant-girl-6th-to-die-in-us-custody/>and
<https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/16-year-old-unaccompanied-migrant-boy-dies-while-u-s-n1000821>medical
<https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/16-year-old-unaccompanied-migrant-boy-dies-while-u-s-n1000821>neglect.

They look like what is happening to undocumented
people, asylum seekers, and refugees in America today. Itís really that simple.

And so I have a few questions for
<https://t.co/SKWHB3Kjtk%0Ahttps://twitter.com/bungarsargon/status/1145496071919079426?s=17>my
fellow Jews who claim that we have somehow
diminished the term ďNever AgainĒ by using it to
refer to the disaster unfolding before us:

Does it have to get to the point of medical
experiments and mass graves, gas chambers and
burning pits before you will compare it to the
Holocaust? Do we have to let it get that bad
before we learn the lessons of history and take action as God commands us?

Do you really believe, given the conditions in
the camps and the
<https://www.propublica.org/article/secret-border-patrol-facebook-group-agents-joke-about-migrant-deaths-post-sexist-memes>glee
with which many of the perpetrators are
discussing the dehumanization of their victims,
that these people are capable of checking
themselves before it gets to that point?

There are many people in America today who still
do not know what is being done in our names. But
if we Jews all speak with one voice, from our
ancestral experience, nobody will be able to say
they didnít know, or that it crept up on them too slowly for them to notice.

We wonít be able to change the hearts and minds
of those who truly do not care or who agree with
the way things are unfolding; but we invite every
decent person who takes the Holocaust seriously to get involved now.

Before itís too late.

Tae Phoenix is a singer-songwriter who uses music
as a community organizing tool. She works with
the Washington Poor Peopleís Campaign, Seattle
Indivisible, and the Womenís March among others.
Follow her on Twitter @taephoenix. To listen to
her music and get involved, visit www.taephoenix.com.

<https://www.thepoliticsofpesticides.com/>The<https://www.thepoliticsofpesticides.com/>
Fight Against Monsanto's Roundup: The Politics of
Pesticides (SkyHorse, 2019), authored by Mitchel
Cohen, is now available at bookstores everywhere!
Please click on link to learn more.