Hi All,

Thought I'd see what the eBird data show for hummer habits.

Using eBird frequency of observation graphs for all years, I looked at
data for three areas:

"All"  All counties combined.
"North"  Franklin, Orleans, and Essex counties combined
"South"  Bennington and Windham counties combined
"All-2019"  All counties combined, this year

Did it this way to find out when in the spring we see the most
hummingbirds, in the summer when we see the fewest, and in the late
summers when we see the most.  And to see if the dates vary from north
to south

Spring high -- North: May 15th to 31st.  South: May 15th to 31st. All:
May 15th to 31st.
Summer low --  North: June 1st to 21st.  South: June 8th to 21st. All:
June 18th to 21st.
Late summer high -- North:  Aug. 8th to 21st.  South:  Aug. 8th to Sept.
15th.  All:  Aug. 8th to 31st.

Spring arrivals appear to happen at the same time throughout the state.
Summer periods of low numbers start earlier in the north, and end at the
same time throughout the state.
The late summer highest numbers all begin at the same time throughout
the state, but is over soonest in the north.

What about this year so far?

Spring high -- North, South, All:  May 15 to June 8th.  Birds arrived
"on schedule" but kept visible in abundance a week longer
Summer low -- North:  June 8th to 30th.  South: June 15th to 30th All:
June 8th to June 21st.  The low frequencies of observation appear to
have have started a week later then usual, but did not continue as long
before rising numbers of birds being seen.

All in all, the eBird data show the hummingbird arrive through out the
state all the same time, and then the breeding activities might start a
bit sooner in the north, and the last birds to leave are from southern
locations.

The data for this year so far, show nothing much unusual, except the
breeding might have been delayed a few days, averaged for the whole state.

The actual frequency percentages of observations are quite uniform
around the state, except that they are somewhat lower in the three most
northern counties.

Best wishes,

Ian