From: Medical Libraries Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Collins, Louise
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2019 10:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Copyright question

Hello,

I always get nervous with copyright questions, so wanted to run this by the group.

One of our docs wants to use an image from a book published in Vienna in 1900:

Die normale Sehnerveneintritt des menschlichen Auges; klinische und anatomische Untersuchungen.
Elschnig, Anton, 1863-1939
Die normale Sehnerveneintritt des menschlichen Auges; klinische und anatomische Untersuchungen.
Austria
Wien, Gerold, 1900.
85 p. ill.
German

From what I can uncover, it seems Austria has the same "70 years after the death of the author" rule as we have here in the US. Anton Elschnig died in 1939, so we are past the 70 year mark.

I tried to find what I could on the publisher (looking under Gerold, Carl Gerold's Sohn, and Carl Gerold & Sohn). I can't find a legitimate website/contact info, just lots of rabbit holes. So I am not even entirely sure they still exist.

My gut feeling says that it will be OK for our doc to use the image, without obtaining permission from the publisher. He will, of course, cite the source in the caption of the image and in the reference section.

Any thoughts to the contrary?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Louise

Louise Collins DVM, MSLIS | Howe Library Director<http://www.masseyeandear.org/research/research-and-academic-affairs/library-resources/elibrary> |617-573-3664 Massachusetts Eye and Ear<http://www.masseyeandear.org/> |243 Charles Street, Boston MA 02114

Mass. Eye and Ear Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) addressed in the message above. This communication may contain sensitive or confidential information. If you are not an intended recipient, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you believe you have received this e-mail in error and the email contains patient information, please contact the Mass. Eye and Ear Compliance Line at (800) 856-1983. If the e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail.
----- Email Disclaimer ----- This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any copying, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or review of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and immediately delete this email from your mailbox.