From: Medical Libraries Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Paul Tremblay
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2019 11:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: copyright question

There is no "amount" mentioned or permitted, per se, in section 107 (Fair Use). Or, for that matter, in section 110 dealing with educational and pedagogical settings. A judge would examine if the heart and soul of a book (fiction or nonfiction) has been unduly copied and distributed.
I would venture that 20% is a sizable amount, this being said. To copy and distribute (in print or online, as per the TEACH Act) 30 chapters of a total of 140 would titillate an IP attorney's interest, that's for sure.
Another concern is the licensing: if you have purchased an e-book and the licensing agreement is that no copy, whatsoever, of the monograph be distributed (individual purchase, for instance), then that's looking for trouble. However, if you have purchased a license which ALLOWS you to do just that (an e-book which can be viewed/printed off-campus or on-campus, for instance), so you're in the clear.
If it is a print book, it is doubtful that 20% of the entire book be permitted to be copied and distributed freely. For all intents and purposes, when a library purchases a print book, you purchase a one-user license.
Sorry if the answer is confusing. Bottom line: No, I don't think it's legal.

Paul Tremblay
NYCPM

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:43 AM Elizabeth Wright, MLS < [log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Can someone refresh my understanding of what copyright may or may not
> allow in the following situation?  In a non-profit educational
> setting, is it permissible to copy 20% of a book's content (30 of 140
> chapters) to distribute to the students of a class over the course of
> the term?  The library purchased a single copy of the title in print.
> My fair use concerns relate to "amount and substantiality" and "effect
> on the potential market".
>
> Any insight & feedback is appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Elizabeth
>
> Elizabeth Wright, MLS, AHIP
> Director of Library Services
> Arkansas Colleges of Health Education
> ACHE Library
> 7000 Chad Colley Blvd.
> Fort Smith, AR 72916
> (479) 308-2303

...you can't fight in here, this is a war room..."
President in Dr. Strangelove

"...we're not here to have fun, we're here to enjoy ourselves."
Frasier in Cheers