Thanks for the input on this ID. More opinions welcome. The dilemma in my
mind is Coopers or Goshawk.

This was reactive birding at its best! A heard flurry of mourning doves
from my platform feeder, a LARGE gray backed hawk on the ground, a grab of
my camera. a giz ID of Gos based on size and gray color,  a photo through
the window and gone. Then - what's the ID?

This bird was BIG - immediately ruling out Sharpie in my mind. Lacking a
distinct facial/head pattern of a Goshawk, I considered Coopers. As I
continue to contemplate and look at images, the Gos seems to show heavy
streaking on the throat in all plumages with a distinct eye line.  My bird
has that whitish chin with a hint of russet on front and legs. I am now
guessing this is a Coopers lacking the above characteristics of a Gos.    I
won't charge the ID in ebird yet!

Ruth
E. Dorset