Apropos of nothing but my own confusion, is there an eBird ie
scientific definition of the difference between Juvenile and Immature?
I suspect I use the terms wrongly when reporting, and on Maeve's
report these handsome Goldeneye kids are reported as 'immature'. Is
that because they now feed themselves? (which Juveniles don't?!) ...
thank you for any advice!Veer Frost, Passumpsic

On 8/20/2019 at 6:07 AM, "Maeve Kim"  wrote:We were stumped by five
similar-sounding ducks last week: brown or red-brown heads, tail
sometimes held stiffly, white patches on wing, white on throat or
breast. With a little help from a friend and two guide book, we
decided they were immature goldeneye. There are some poor photos at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58918335
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

> On Aug 19, 2019, at 10:04 PM, R Stewart  wrote:
>
> *Need Help again* identifying a duck. Took some not so great
digiscope
> pictures which tend to show more contrasting color than bino or
scope view.

> Deming Pond, S. Village E. Dorset, Bennington, Vermont, US
> Aug 18, 2019 5:00 PM - 5:20 PM
> Protocol: Stationary
> Comments:     At edge of pond with scope.  Need help identifying
duck
> 5 species
>
> Mallard  2     Note blue speculum
> Ruddy Duck  1     When I first saw this duck through binos, it was
with 2
> larger ducks and was diving constantly. Of note was the stiff, long
tail
> seen when bird dove.  Plumage was brown with what appeared to be a
whitish
> throat and belly. Five min later I was viewing it through my scope.
Bird

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59118193

(https://ebird.org/home)