Goldeneyes they are. I was somewhat surprised to see a family of Goldeneyes at Birdland in North Hero while searching (unsuccessfully) for the famous Vermont Pelican a few weeks ago. I guess that Goldeneye breeders in the Champlain Valley may be more common than I had supposed.
Bruce MacPhersonSouth Burlington

-----Original Message-----
From: Maeve Kim <[log in to unmask]>
To: VTBIRD <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, Aug 20, 2019 6:07 am
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] identifying mystery duck

We were stumped by five similar-sounding ducks last week: brown or red-brown heads, tail sometimes held stiffly, white patches on wing, white on throat or breast. With a little help from a friend and two guide book, we decided they were immature goldeneye. There are some poor photos at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58918335 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58918335>
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center