HI Bethany--

For pre-Nier mass spectrometry, see the review by Bleakney (1936):

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aapt/journal/ajp/4/1/10.1119/1.1999047

Friedman and O'Neil (USGS 440-KK) have a brief history of standards and fractionation factors:

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/pp440KK

Gonfiantini has a nice write up of reference materials (and yes, it was a toilet seat) and early days of CO2 isotopic measurements:

http://www-naweb.iaea.org/napc/ih/documents/Newsletter/issue_25.pdf

CO2 is used because it is easy to work with--but I don't have a good reference off the top of my head.  It can be frozen down using LN2, and cleaned up cyrogenically, i.e. pump away residual air.  You do not need a Toepler pump, though mercury pistons were used for pressure balancing.  And since it can be introduced directly as a gas into the mass spectrometer, you can use electron ionization.  A number of early papers dealt with ionization in the source and source tuning--especially important in stable isotope analyses since consistent signal strength was needed to compare amounts.

Dewar flasks were invented in 1892.  Commercial scale liquid air (liquid N2) plants were starting to be built in the 1930's.  Electronics were well enough developed to build stable stable isotope mass spectrometers, so all the pieces were in place.

CO2 is also readily available from geological samples--just react carbonates with acid (phosphoric).  And it can be equilibrated with water, so it can be used to determine the 18O composition of the water.

good luck...

take care,

gerry