Stable carbon isotope analysis of nucleic acids to trace sources of dissolved substrates used by estuarine bacteria.
R B Coffin, D J Velinsky, R Devereux, W A Price, L A Cifuentes

From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jenan Kharbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 at 12:54 PM
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [ISOGEOCHEM] 15N of DNA in bacteria/algae?

Hi everyone,
Kind of a weird question today- does anyone know of any 15N measurements of DNA in microorganisms? So far I've only found one paper (Schwartz et al 2007, Soil Biology and Biochem) that measured DNA extracted from soil- their results indicated that DNA is 15N-depleted by 3 permil on average relative to microbial biomass. I'm trying to figure out if that's a good estimate to use for bacteria and/or algae in general.
If anyone can point me to data or other resources on this topic, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks,
Jenan

--
Jenan J. Kharbush, PhD