The Micropalaeontological Society would like to invite you to submit an image to this years image competition.

Since 2014, the society has held a micropalaeo themed image competition, where the winning images are compiled into a calendar. This has been immensely popular, with plenty of beautiful images being submitted each year. Images have no standard form - we've had everything from SEMs, CT scan reconstructions, images of lasered forams to paintings and images in other artistic media. One year we even had a coccolithophore lamp made out of clay! As long as you're submitting an organism which can be categorised into a microfossil group, you're all good. Micropalaeo-geochem hybrid scientists are most welcome to send in images.

All images are judged by the TMS committee (mix of early career and senior scientists from a variety of institutions), however not all committee members take part - only those who are able to. We give committee members a choice to participate, as it is recognised that competition judging is external to their main committee role. Thus this activity is made fully inclusive i.e. personal and caring responsibilities are taken into account.  Images are all anonymised to ensure the judging process is fair and free from bias. I will not take part in the judging process as I will be intercepting the images. The judging process in general will be double blind (the panel is never announced publicly).

Submissions close on Monday September 30th at 2359 Pacific Standard Time (*today/tomorrow depending on when you are reading this email!*). If you are interested in submitting an image please fill in this form https://forms.gle/ZjpLLqMpK4pMsMzM6 OR submit via email to [log in to unmask] with the form from https://www.tmsoc.org/microfossil-image-competition-2020/
Please put TMS Calendar Competition Submission as the subject title.

A few notes:

- Your image blurb should be easily understood by a member of the public (test out your blurb on a  family member if you arenít sure!)

- Do not include anything within the blurb which might identify you, for example an sample site, or laboratory location that your image was taken in. If you are selected as a winner you will be able to refine your blurb, this is just a precaution we are taking to make sure the judging process is fully anonymised.

- Images should preferably be high resolution (300dpi) PNG/JPEG/TIFF files, or if sent at a lower resolution, entrants should be able to produce a higher resolution image if selected as a winner.

If you need some inspiration, take a look at previous years' submissions on our Flickr feed! https://www.flickr.com/photos/128916312@N03/albums .

Any questions email me on [log in to unmask]

Looking forward to your submissions!

Rehemat Bhatia (TMS Publicity Officer) and the TMS Committee

#TMSCalendar2019