Hi Greg,

Running solids for 2H abundance analysis is or should be as straight forward as is running samples for 18O.

Paired reference materials needed and available for scale normalisation of measured d2H values to the VSMOW/SLAP scale include solid compounds that were characterised by Arndt Schimmelmann’s international project, and reference waters in cold-welded silver tubes developed by Haiping Qi and Ty Coplen. All this materials are available from the Reston lab of the USGS.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.analchem.5b04392

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10256016.2018.1538137

https://isotopes.usgs.gov/lab/referencematerials.html

Where it gets “tricky” is the issue of analysing halocarbons or N-rich organics for 2H abundance because side-reactions during thermolysis mean H2 yield is not quantitative which in turn yields artefact d2H values due to associated mass discriminatory effects.

For “recalcitrant “ compounds of that nature the TC/EA reactor has to be packed with either a mixture of glassy carbon chips and Cr granules or Cr granules only. There are number of papers by Matthias Gehre and colleagues describing this set-up in detail.

Information can also be found in this phantastic book (coughs):
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/book/10.1002/9781119080190

Hope this helps.

Best,

Wolfram

Prof. Dr W Meier-Augenstein, CChem, FRSC
Stable Isotope Forensics & Analytical Sciences

Robert Gordon University
School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences
The Ian Wood Building
Garthdee Road